PROMAX 2012 winding down and done. BIG WELL DUNNE! salutes to all the winners. Click here to check out the list.
Hey! Well Dunne is saving you an hour of your life! Here, in ascending order, are "The 10 Things You Need to Know About Making Promos," presented by FARRELL ALLEN, Creative Director at Black Spot and JEFF BLACKMAN, VP, Preschool Brand Creative at Nickelodeon in the final afternoon of the 2012 Conference:
10) Know your brand
8) Look for inspiration everywhere
7) Got the perfect script? Write it again
6) Start with the music.
5) Make scratch VO matter.
4) Quiet is the loudest sound on TV. (This includes dynamic shifts of quiet-to-loud-to-silent.)
3) Make your editor happy. (Don’t make their jobs harder.)
2) Put your promos to the test. (If you think you’re done, punch holes in it to make it 5% better. Try: listening to audio only. Then: nix the voice tracks and listen.)
1) Break it down. (Analyze. Record a lot of TV, FF to the promos and just WATCH.)
Think About This: “We don’t like their sound, and guitar music is on the way out." –Decca Recording Co. rejecting the Beatles, 1962