NBC’s SCOTT CHASTAIN and PROMAXbda’s topper JONATHAN BLOCK-VERK
RAY ECKE wraps up the PROMAXbda get-together and we want to thank him profusely for such a great job! Well Dunne! Ray.
Last day of PromaxBDA (sniff, sniff). Kudos to JONATHAN BLOCK-VERK and the rest of the PromaxBDA team for putting on a tremendously informative, well organized and downright fun show (the candy bar during the awards show intermission was definitely a nice touch).
The day began with a brilliant chat with between veteran designer KYLE COOPER interviewed by the always jovial BRETT ASHY. Following that was the PromaxBDA Lifetime Achievement award presentation to SPIKE LEE, who was interviewed by the always-thoughtful CHARLIE ROSE. Some of things we learned:
- According to Lee, “Do the Right Thing” is one of the great New York films of all time.
- Lee tried to do bio pics on Jackie Robinson and James Brown and a story about the friendship between boxers Joe Louis and Max Schemelling. All of which never got made because of lack of financing.
- He couldn’t get an “Inside Man” sequel made despite the fact that Denzil Washington and Jodie Foster were on board and the first one grossed $400 million worldwide.
- Charlie Rose carries 2 cell phones – both of which rang during the interview.
- It’s going to be tough for President Obama to get reelected because of unemployment situation.
- Out of the blue he got a call from Portland ad agency Widen & Kennedy, who had seen “She’s Gotta Have It,” and asked him to direct and star in the popular Nike Air Jordan campaign of the 1990s, which began his career in advertising and marketing.
The week culminated with the PromaxBDA Promotion, Marketing and Design Awards – this time combining the promotion/marketing awards and design awards together. Hosted by actor/comic JAY MOHR, who was absolutely hilarious, kept the show moving well.
Some of the overall winners from the North American promotion and marketing awards include HBO, Showtime, FX Network and CTV Creative Agency and NBC Universal. For the design Awards for North America, some of the overall winners include FX Network, Showtime Networks, Inc, Turner and Fox Broadcasting Company.
A complete list of all the 2011 PromaxBDA Marketing, Promotion and Design Awards winners
Finally, I had a chance to chat with a few attendees and ask for their general thoughts on the show. Check back here later for those thoughts.
Think About This: “When we are unable to find tranquility within ourselves, it is useless to seek it elsewhere.” ~ Francois de La Rochefoucauld